The Ultimate Guide For Last Minute Fall Break Adventures in Utah
5 Last minute destinations perfect for families for a local vacation during Fall Break Next week.
Summer might be over and our greatest snow hasn’t made its debut yet but that doesn’t mean you can’t still squeeze in one last family adventure during a four day weekend. Wherever you live win Utah we have an adventure for you.
1. The Center Of It All
Not to be confused with The Monticello of Thomas Jefferson. Our Monticello is even better with all the adventure it offers. There is something here for everyone!
Things to do :
- Canyonlands National Park- Form here you can access the Needles District and explore just like Lewis and Clark.
- Ancient History & Rock Art – Here you can see Newspaper Rock and many other archeological sites.
- Indian Creek Rock Climbing – Many different climbing routes of varying degrees of difficulty.
- Dark Skies – Southeast Utah had many locations that some of the best star gazing sites in the world.
- ATV Safari – You can take ATV’s into Canyonlands National Park and ride into the Island In The Sky District. Watch out for scorpions!
- Golf one of the highest courses, Hideout Golf Course. A beautiful high ranking, 18 hole course.
- Hiking, and lots of it! Along Elk Ridge or Dark Canyon Wilderness there are numerous hikes for the beginner hiker to the experienced hiker.
- Canyon Country Discovery Center – We make science fun, all hands on experiments and experiences for kids and adults alike.
Where to Stay:
- Sand Islands Campground
- Indian Creek Campground
- Hotels, Inns, Lodges
- Grist Mill Inn
- Canyonlands Lodging
- Canyonlands Motor Inn Monticello
- Wayside Inn Monticello
There are also RV hookups available in town.
2. The North Country
It won’t be snowing quite yet, but it doesn’t need to be to have a great time. You can still treat your family to ski resort class and entertainment. Do you have a frisbee? Mountain bike? Hiking shoes? It’s time to get the kids out and use up all that pent up energy!
Things To Do:
- Mountain Biking – Trails catering to the teeny tiny bikers all the way to trails for the extreme helmet and biking gloves variety. Both offer amazing views.
- Hiking – Trails are all over this resort. The best part is that three have been set aside just for hikers, no need to worry about sharing the road here.
- Spider Jump – For five minutes you will be the coolest parent, ever, for those five minutes. For just seven dollars your gets get to have some crazy fun.
- Free Dic Golf – Bring your own diss or for just $12 you can rent a kit.
- Climbing Wall – Complete with harness and ropes for just seven dollars, show kids you’ve still got it.
- Powder Mountain
- A smaller resort, but that means less people. So if you are looking for a quiet getaway, this is for you, It still offers 15 miles of mountain biking and hiking trails and stunning views.
- Biking – Bonus, there is a bike shop on site, so if you haven’t learned how to repair your own bike yet, they have you covered.
- Fall Safari – Ride the exclusive Powzilla or Ski Rex and take in all the colors of the season, nature’s best
Where To Stay:
Either way you are going to want to stay cozy, whether that be in a tent or room. Eden and Huntsville are quaint, cozy little towns that have accommodations in the form of Inns, Hotels, and condos. If you choose to tent it, you can stay at Anderson Cove, South Arm Campground or South Fork Campground. Pack your fuzzy blankets, fuzzy sweaters, fuzzy socks,and fuzzy hats. You will want to stay cozy!
3. Local Woodsy Lodge
Daniels Summit Lodge.
There is just something about staying in an all wood lodge. It’s like time is frozen and you have al the time in the world to catch up, relax, and reconnect. Plan to fit this in with your family, it is only 15 miles out of Heber near Strawberry Reservoir.
Things To Do:
- Guided Horseback Riding Excursions
- Day Spa
- 4 Wheeling
- Mountain Biking
- Fishing at Strawberry Reservoir
- Canoeing/ Kayaking
- Relax in your room
4. Desert Exploration
Grand Staircase-Escalante National Monument
This is the best time of year to visit this Grand Staircase! Temps have cooled off and yet are still pleasant to hike around and discover for yourself what is so grand about this natural monument. It’s also perfect in October because you can visit locations perfect for setting the mood for Halloween.
Thing To Do:
Hiking – Hike the stunning Calf Creek Falls, worth every step! OR the Spooky slot canyons. Coyote Gulch is a fun hike but if your really up for a challenge and a heart thumping experience go for Devil’s Garden.
Escalante Petrified Forest State Park – Warning: This is a haunted place. At least for those who have taken petrified rocks (which is illegal) from this protected forest. People have sent letters describing the curse befallen them after they took said rocks…..So don’t take anything for the park that doesn’t belong to you.
Where To Stay:
Escalante State Park Campground
Calf Creek Campground
5. The Most Impressive Sandstone Sculptures By Nature Herself
Monument Valley National Monument
The you think of the classic western films, this s the epic backdrop and landscape in which they all took place, right here. Now you can go see it for yourself. Under the ownership of none other than the Navajo Nation to put the icon got the cake to the classic westerns of yesteryear.
Things To Do:
- Hiking – Easy roads more traveled would be Mystery valley, Hunts Mesa, Owachomo Trail, or Hovenweep trials. If you are ready to take the rods less traveled and kick it into high gear go for Butler Wash Ruins or Natural Bridges.
Where To Stay:
- Goulding Lodge – This lodge isn’t shy about hosting all those movie stars over the years. It offers full accommodations to camping accommodations. As well as a museum where you can learn more about the history behind this place.
- Tipi Village – Want a full experience, stay in a tipi or Hogan style log cabin. You can even take a navajo guided tour of the valley.
- Tear Drop Arch B&B – Just like home. Your choice of indoor accommodations with queen beds or camp outside. Either way it is quiet and cozy.